THE REVISED SCHOOL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1976
380.1231 Hiring of teachers; teachers' contracts generally.
(1) The board of a school district shall hire and contract with qualified teachers. Contracts with teachers shall be in writing and signed on behalf of the school district by a majority of the board, by the president and secretary of the board, or by the superintendent of schools or an authorized representative of the board. The contracts shall specify the wages agreed upon.
(2) A teacher's contract shall be filed with the secretary of the board and a duplicate copy of the contract shall be furnished to the teacher.
(3) Except as otherwise provided under this act, a contract with a teacher is not valid unless the person holds a valid teaching certificate at the time the contractual period begins. A contract shall terminate if the certificate expires by limitation and is not renewed immediately or if it is suspended or revoked by proper legal authority.
(4) The board of a school district, after a teacher has been employed at least 2 consecutive years by the board, may enter into a continuing contract with a certificated teacher.
(5) As used in this section, “teacher” does not include a substitute teacher.
History: 1976, Act 451, Imd. Eff. Jan. 13, 1977
Am. 2002, Act 735, Eff. Mar. 31, 2003
Popular Name: Act 451
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan