NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1994
324.81114 Records available to public; commercial lookup service of ORV operation, title, and registration; disposition of fees; computerized central file; purging records; providing records to nongovernmental person or entity; payment; admissibility in evidence.
(1) The secretary of state shall make available to the public records maintained under this part, other than those declared to be confidential by law or that are restricted by law from disclosure to the public, under procedures prescribed in this part and in the freedom of information act, 1976 PA 442, MCL 15.231 to 15.246.
(2) The secretary of state may provide a commercial lookup service of ORV operation, title, and registration records maintained under this part. For each individual record looked up, the secretary of state shall charge a fee specified annually by the legislature, or if none, a market-based price established by the secretary of state. The secretary of state shall process a commercial lookup request only if the request is in a form or format prescribed by the secretary of state. The secretary of state shall credit fees collected under this subsection on and after October 1, 2005 to the transportation administration collection fund created in section 810b of the Michigan vehicle code, 1949 PA 300, MCL 257.810b, through October 1, 2019.
(3) The secretary of state shall create and maintain a computerized central file that includes the information contained on application forms received under this part and the name of each person who is convicted of an offense, who fails to comply with an order or judgment issued, or against whom an order is entered under this part. The computerized central file shall be interfaced with the law enforcement information network as provided in the C.J.I.S. policy council act, 1974 PA 163, MCL 28.211 to 28.215.
(4) The secretary of state may purge a record of an ORV certificate of title and any record pertaining to it 7 years after the title was issued or the record was made or received.
(5) The secretary of state shall not provide an entire computerized central or other file of records maintained under this part to a nongovernmental person or entity unless the purchaser pays the prescribed fee or price for each individual record contained within the computerized file.
(6) A certified copy of an order, record, or paper maintained under this part is admissible in evidence in the same manner as the original and is prima facie proof of the facts stated in the original.
History: Add. 1995, Act 58, Imd. Eff. May 24, 1995
Am. 1997, Act 102, Imd. Eff. Aug. 7, 1997
Am. 2005, Act 174, Imd. Eff. Oct. 12, 2005
Am. 2009, Act 100, Imd. Eff. Sept. 30, 2009
Am. 2011, Act 90, Imd. Eff. July 15, 2011
Am. 2015, Act 77, Eff. Oct. 1, 2015
Popular Name: Act 451
Popular Name: NREPA
Popular Name: Off-Road Vehicle Act
Popular Name: ORV
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan