MICHIGAN LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS MEMORIAL ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 177 of 2004
28.786 Grants or gifts; prohibited fund-raising activities.
(1) The commission may accept on behalf of the monument fund grants or gifts from the federal government, an individual, a public or private corporation, organization, or foundation, or any other source. The acceptance and use of federal funds by the commission does not commit state money and does not obligate the legislature to continue the purposes for which federal money is made available. The commission shall transmit money received under this section to the state treasurer for deposit in the monument fund.
(2) A person shall not solicit or collect money for the monument fund through the use of telemarketing.
(3) A person shall not conduct any fund-raising activities in the name of the Michigan law enforcement officers memorial monument fund without prior written approval from the Michigan law enforcement officers memorial monument fund commission.
(4) A person shall not use the name or logo of the Michigan law enforcement officers memorial monument fund or commission in any fund-raising activity without prior written approval of the commission.
(5) A person who violates subsection (2), (3), or (4) is guilty of a misdemeanor for each separate violation, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 1 year or a fine of not more than $1,000.00, or both.
History: 2004, Act 177, Imd. Eff. July 1, 2004
© 2020 Legislative Council, State of Michigan