MORTGAGE BROKERS, LENDERS, AND SERVICERS LICENSING ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 173 of 1987
445.1668 Notice of hearing on complaint; service; informal conference; settlement; compliance; hearing.
(1) After an investigation has been conducted and a formal complaint has been prepared pursuant to section 14(c), the commissioner shall serve upon the person against whom the complaint was filed, and the person who filed the complaint, a notice of a hearing on the complaint pursuant to section 71 of the administrative procedures act of 1969, Act No. 306 of the Public Acts of 1969, being section 24.271 of the Michigan Compiled Laws, and a notice of an opportunity to settle the complaint through an informal conference.
(2) A person upon whom service has been made pursuant to this section may request, within 15 days after the receipt of notice, an opportunity to settle a complaint in an informal conference. An informal conference shall be held only if the person against whom a complaint has been filed agrees to the informal conference. If an informal conference is held, the hearing on the complaint shall be postponed.
(3) An informal conference may result in a settlement, consent order, waiver, default, or other method of settlement agreed upon by the person complained against and the commissioner. A settlement may include a license or registration revocation or suspension, restitution, or a penalty provided for in this act.
(4) This act does not prevent a person against whom a complaint has been filed from showing compliance with this act, a rule promulgated under this act, or an order issued under this act, as provided in chapter 4 of Act No. 306 of the Public Acts of 1969.
(5) If an informal conference is not held, or does not result in a settlement of a complaint, a hearing on the complaint shall be held as provided in chapter 4 of Act No. 306 of the Public Acts of 1969.
History: 1987, Act 173, Imd. Eff. Nov. 18, 1987
Compiler's Notes: For transfer of authority, powers, duties, functions, and responsibility of the financial institutions bureau and the commissioner of the financial institutions bureau to the commissioner of the office of financial and insurance services and the office of financial and insurance services by type III transfer, see E.R.O. No. 2000-2, compiled at MCL 445.2003 of the Michigan compiled laws.
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan