Jump to the first occurrence of "library"
LIBRARY OF MICHIGAN ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 540 of 1982
397.14 Library board of trustees; creation; duties; meetings; membership; terms; rules; election of chairperson and vice-chairperson; expenses; state librarian as secretary of board.
(1) A board of trustees of the library is created within the department. The board shall make recommendations to the department on the following matters:
(a) The services the library shall provide.
(b) The manner in which the services shall be provided.
(c) Other matters of general policy concerning the library.
(d) The budget for the library.
(e) Proposed rules governing operations of the library.
(2) The board shall meet not less than 3 times per year, including a meeting to be held in January of each year. The board shall meet also at the call of the chairperson of the board.
(3) The board shall consist of the following:
(a) One member appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives.
(b) One member appointed by the house of representatives minority leader.
(c) One member appointed by the senate majority leader.
(d) One member appointed by the senate minority leader.
(e) The director of the department or his or her designee.
(f) A representative of the Michigan library association, appointed by the governor from a list of 3 persons nominated by the Michigan library association.
(g) Two members of the general public who represent users of the state library, appointed by the governor.
(h) One member who is a librarian from a college or university library, appointed by the governor.
(i) One member who is a librarian from a public or private K to 12 system, appointed by the governor.
(j) One member who is a librarian from a public library, appointed by the governor.
(k) One member who is a librarian from a special library, appointed by the governor.
(l) The chief justice of the supreme court or his or her designee.
(4) A member of the board appointed under subsection (3)(a) to (d) shall hold office for a term of 2 years to coincide with the term of office of state representative. Members appointed to the board by the governor under subsection (3) shall hold office for a term of 3 years except that of the members first appointed, 3 shall be appointed for 3 years, 2 for 2 years, and 2 for 1 year.
(5) The board shall prescribe rules for its own procedure. Annually, the board shall elect from its membership a chairperson and vice-chairperson. Members shall serve without compensation but shall be entitled to reasonable and necessary expenses incurred in the discharge of their duties.
(6) The state librarian shall serve as secretary of the board.
History: 1982, Act 540, Eff. Mar. 30, 1983
Am. 1983, Act 114, Imd. Eff. July 12, 1983
Am. 1986, Act 98, Imd. Eff. May 14, 1986
Am. 1995, Act 190, Imd. Eff. Nov. 6, 1995
Am. 2001, Act 62, Eff. Oct. 1, 2001
Compiler's Notes: For transfer of powers and duties of library of Michigan and state librarian, except pertaining to services for blind and physically handicapped and those related to census data functions, to department of education, see E.R.O. No. 2009-26, compiled at MCL 399.752.
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan