REVISED JUDICATURE ACT OF 1961 (EXCERPT)
Act 236 of 1961
600.151e Juror compensation reimbursement fund; distribution; report; conditions for reimbursement; payments; "court funding unit" defined.
(1) The money in the juror compensation reimbursement fund shall be distributed each year as provided in this section.
(2) Each court funding unit shall submit a report semiannually to the state court administrator, for each court for which it is a funding unit, giving the total amount of the expense incurred during the fiscal year by that funding unit due to the increase in the statutory minimum compensation rate for jurors that took effect October 1, 2003, pursuant to section 1344. If any of the juror compensation payments made by that court funding unit were in excess of the statutory minimum amount prescribed in section 1344, the report also shall include the total amount paid to jurors in excess of that statutory minimum.
(3) Each year, the state court administrator, at the direction of the supreme court and upon confirmation by the state treasurer of the total amount available in the fund, shall distribute from the fund the amount prescribed in subsection (4). However, reimbursements under this subsection are subject to both of the following:
(a) For fiscal years beginning after September 30, 2004, the state court administrator shall be reimbursed semiannually from the fund for reasonable costs associated with the administration of this section, not to exceed an annual total of $40,000.00.
(b) If the amount available in the fund in any fiscal year is more than the amount needed to pay the entire reimbursement required for all court funding units under subsection (4), subject to section 151d(3) for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2005, the unencumbered balance shall be carried forward to the next fiscal year and shall not revert to the general fund.
(4) Each court funding unit is entitled to receive reimbursement from the fund for the expense amount reported under subsection (2) for the preceding 6 months, excluding any juror compensation in excess of the statutory minimum.
(5) Payments from the fund shall be made every 6 months. Reimbursement for each 6-month period beginning with the quarter that ends March 31, 2004 shall be made from the fund not later than 2 months after the end of the 6-month period.
(6) In addition to the amounts to be paid out under subsection (5) for the 6-month period ending March 31, 2004 and for the 6-month period ending September 30, 2004, the state court administrator shall pay an additional sum equal to 14% of the payment due under subsection (5) to each court funding unit. These 2 extra payments are intended to offset expenses incurred by court funding units for costs in adapting to the changes in the statutory minimum rate for juror compensation as implemented by 2002 PA 739.
(7) As used in this section, "court funding unit" means 1 of the following, as applicable:
(a) For circuit or probate court, the county.
(b) For district court, the district funding unit as that term is defined in section 8104.
(c) For a municipal court, the city in which the municipal court is located.
History: Add. 2002, Act 742, Eff. Oct. 1, 2003
Am. 2004, Act 465, Imd. Eff. Dec. 28, 2004
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan