Jump to the first occurrence of "MORTGAGE BROKERS, LENDERS,"
MORTGAGE BROKERS, LENDERS, AND SERVICERS LICENSING ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 173 of 1987
445.1684 Claims filed against proof of financial responsibility.
(1) The commissioner shall prioritize and pay claims against a proof of financial responsibility filed with the commissioner under section 4 in a manner that, in his or her discretion, best protects the public interest.
(2) Claims may only be filed against a licensee's proof of financial responsibility as provided under this section by the licensee's borrowers, mortgage loan applicants, loan servicing customers, and the commissioner.
(3) Claims filed against a proof of financial responsibility by a borrower or loan applicant shall involve only mortgage loans or mortgage applications secured or to be secured by residential real property located in this state. The amount of the claim shall not exceed actual fees in connection with a loan application, overcharges of principal and interest, and excess escrow collections charged by the licensee and paid by the claimant to the licensee.
(4) The commissioner may file a claim against a proof of financial responsibility for payment of fines or fees due and payable to the commissioner or the bureau and reimbursement of expenses incurred in investigating the licensee and expenses incurred in distributing proceeds of the proof of financial responsibility. A claim filed under this subsection shall be paid in full prior to payment of other claims against a proof of financial responsibility, unless the commissioner, in his or her discretion, waives in whole or in part the right to priority of payment.
(5) In the event that valid claims exceed the amount of the proof of financial responsibility, each claimant shall be entitled only to a pro rata amount of his or her valid claim.
History: Add. 1996, Act 210, Imd. Eff. May 22, 1996
Compiler's Notes: For transfer of authority, powers, duties, functions, and responsibility of the financial institutions bureau and the commissioner of the financial institutions bureau to the commissioner of the office of financial and insurance services and the office of financial and insurance services by type III transfer, see E.R.O. No. 2000-2, compiled at MCL 445.2003 of the Michigan compiled laws.
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan