NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1994
***** 324.81116 THIS SECTION IS AMENDED EFFECTIVE MARCH 15, 2018: See 324.81116.amended *****
324.81116 Application for license by owner or dealer of ORV; filing; form; application fee; false information prohibited; issuance of license; validity; permit fees; purchase and resale of ORV licenses; refunds; records; attachment of license to vehicle; license not required for vehicle used and stored outside state; lost or destroyed license.
(1) The owner of an ORV requiring licensure under this part shall file an application for a license with the department or a dealer on forms provided by the department. If an ORV is sold by a dealer, the application for a license shall be submitted to the department by the dealer in the name of the owner. The application shall include a certification. The owner of the vehicle shall sign the application or, if the application is filed electronically, provide information requested by the department to verify the owner's identity. The application shall be accompanied by a fee as provided in subsection (2). A person shall not file an application for a license that contains false information. Upon receipt of the application in approved form and upon payment of the appropriate fee, the department or dealer shall issue to the applicant a license which is valid for the 12-month period for which it is issued. A license shall be issued for the 12-month period beginning April 1 and ending March 31 each year.
(2) The fee for a license is as follows:
(a) For a license valid for the 12-month period beginning April 1, 2013, $16.25.
(b) For a license valid for a 12-month period beginning April 1, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, or 2018 and that does not authorize operation of the ORV on state ORV trails, $26.25.
(c) For a license valid for a 12-month period beginning April 1, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, or 2018 and that authorizes operation of the ORV on state ORV trails, $36.25.
(d) For a license valid for a 12-month period beginning April 1, 2019 or a subsequent April 1, no fee.
(3) Dealers may purchase from the department ORV licenses for resale to owners of vehicles requiring licensure under this part. The department shall refund to dealers the purchase price of any ORV licenses returned within 90 days after the end of the 12-month period for which they were valid. A dealer shall maintain and provide to the department records of ORV license sales on forms provided by the department. In addition to the sale of ORV licenses, a dealer engaged in the sale, lease, or rental of ORVs as a regular business may sell any other license or permit authorized by the department to be sold by other dealers under the statutes of this state.
(4) The license shall be permanently attached to the vehicle in the manner prescribed and in the location designated by the department before the vehicle may legally be operated in accordance with this part.
(5) If at the time of sale the purchaser certifies on a form provided by the department that the purchased vehicle otherwise requiring a license under this part will be used and stored outside of this state and will not be returned by the purchaser to this state for use, then a license is not required.
(6) If a license acquired by the owner of an ORV is lost or destroyed, the department shall provide that person with a replacement license free of charge. The department may require a person requesting a replacement license to supply sufficient evidence of the loss or destruction of the original license.
History: Add. 1995, Act 58, Imd. Eff. May 24, 1995
Am. 1995, Act 99, Imd. Eff. June 22, 1995
Am. 2003, Act 111, Eff. Oct. 1, 2003
Am. 2006, Act 477, Imd. Eff. Dec. 21, 2006
Am. 2012, Act 28, Imd. Eff. Feb. 23, 2012
Am. 2013, Act 75, Imd. Eff. June 25, 2013
Popular Name: Act 451
Popular Name: NREPA
Popular Name: Off-Road Vehicle Act
Popular Name: ORV
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan