HOUSE BILL NO. 6431
A bill to amend 1982 PA 540, entitled
"Library of Michigan act,"
(MCL 397.11 to 397.24) by amending the title, as amended by 2001 PA 62, and by adding sections 3a and 12a.
the people of the state of michigan enact:
An act to create the library of Michigan; to create a board of trustees for the library; to establish the qualifications of the state librarian; to provide the powers and duties of the board of trustees, the department of history, arts, and libraries, the state librarian, and certain state officials and agencies; to create certain programs and funds; to provide for the promulgation of rules; and to repeal acts and parts of acts.
Sec. 3a. (1) The imagination library of Michigan program is established to promote the development of a statewide initiative for encouraging preschool children to develop a love of reading and learning.
(2) Program money must be used to do both of the following:
(a) Provide, through Dolly Parton's Imagination Library, 1 age-appropriate book per month to each registered child from birth to age 5. Books described in this subdivision must be sent monthly to each registered child's home at no cost to the registered child's family.
(b) Operate a matching grant program, administered by the library, to provide a 50% match of funds to local Dolly Parton's Imagination Library affiliates participating in Dolly Parton's Imagination Library.
(3) The library may promulgate rules under the administrative procedures act of 1969, 1969 PA 306, MCL 24.201 to 24.328, to implement this section.
(4) As used in this section:
(a) "Program" means the imagination library of Michigan program created in subsection (1).
(b) "Registered child" means a child registered with a local Dolly Parton's Imagination Library affiliate.
Sec. 12a. (1) The imagination library of Michigan fund is created in the state treasury.
(2) The state treasurer shall deposit money and other assets received from any source in the fund. The state treasurer shall direct the investment of money in the fund and credit interest and earnings from the investments to the fund.
(3) The library is the administrator of the fund for audits of the fund.
(4) The library shall expend money from the fund, on appropriation, only to support the imagination library of Michigan program as described in section 3a.
(5) As used in this section, "fund" means the imagination library of Michigan fund created in subsection (1).