HOUSE BILL NO. 4502
"Public health code,"
by amending section 22203 (MCL 333.22203), as amended by 2002 PA 619.
the people of the state of michigan enact:
Sec. 22203. (1) "Addition" means adding to a health facility patient rooms, beds, and ancillary service areas, including, but not limited to, procedure rooms or fixed equipment, surgical operating rooms, therapy rooms or fixed equipment, or other accommodations. to a health facility.
(2) "Capital expenditure" means an expenditure for a single project, including cost of construction, engineering, and equipment that under generally accepted accounting principles is not properly chargeable as an expense of operation. Capital expenditure includes a lease or comparable arrangement by or on behalf of a health facility to obtain a health facility, licensed part of a health facility, or equipment for a health facility, if the actual purchase of a health facility, licensed part of a health facility, or equipment for a health facility would have been considered a capital expenditure under this part. Capital expenditure includes the cost of studies, surveys, designs, plans, working drawings, specifications, and other activities essential to the acquisition, improvement, expansion, addition, conversion, modernization, new construction, or replacement of physical plant and equipment.
(3) "Certificate of need" means a certificate issued under this part authorizing a new health facility, a change in bed capacity, the initiation, replacement, or expansion of a covered clinical service, or a covered capital expenditure that is issued in accordance with this part.
(4) "Certificate of need review standard" or "review standard" means a standard approved by the commission.
(5) "Change in bed capacity" means 1 or more of the following:
(a) An increase in licensed hospital beds.
(b) An increase in licensed nursing home beds or hospital beds certified for long-term care.
(c) An increase in licensed psychiatric beds.
(d) A change from 1 licensed use to a different licensed use.
(e) The physical relocation of beds from a licensed site to another geographic location.
(6) "Clinical" means directly pertaining to the diagnosis, treatment, or rehabilitation of an individual.
(7) "Clinical service area" means an area of a health facility, including related corridors, equipment rooms, ancillary service and support areas that house medical equipment, patient rooms, patient beds, diagnostic, operating, therapy, or treatment rooms or other accommodations related to the diagnosis, treatment, or rehabilitation of individuals receiving services from the health facility.
(8) "Commission" means the certificate of need commission created under section 22211.
(9) "Covered capital expenditure" means a capital expenditure of $2,500,000.00 or more, as adjusted annually by the department under section 22221(g), by a person for a health facility for a single project, excluding the cost of nonfixed medical equipment, that includes or involves the acquisition, improvement, expansion, addition, conversion, modernization, new construction, or replacement of a clinical service area.
(10) "Covered clinical service", except as modified by the commission under section 22215, means 1 or more of the following:
(a) Initiation or expansion of 1 or more of the following services:
(i) Neonatal A neonatal intensive care services service or special newborn nursing services.service.
(ii) Open heart surgery.
(iii) Extrarenal organ transplantation.
(b) Initiation, replacement, or expansion of 1 or more of the following services:
(i) Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy.
(ii) Megavoltage radiation therapy.
(iii) Positron emission tomography.
(iv) Surgical services A surgical service provided in a freestanding surgical outpatient facility, an ambulatory surgery center certified under title XVIII, or a surgical department of a hospital licensed under part 215 and offering inpatient or outpatient surgical services.
(v) Cardiac catheterization.A cardiac catheterization service. However, cardiac catheterization service does not include an outpatient service for which the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services has approved a current procedural terminology code as an outpatient service.
(vi) Fixed A fixed and mobile magnetic resonance imager services.service.
(vii) Fixed A fixed and mobile computerized tomography scanner services.service.
(viii) Air An air ambulance services.service.
(c) Initiation or expansion of a specialized psychiatric program for children and adolescent patients utilizing licensed psychiatric beds.
(d) Initiation, replacement, or expansion of a service not listed in this subsection, but designated as a covered clinical service by the commission under section 22215(1)(a).
(11) "Fixed equipment" means equipment that is affixed to and constitutes a structural component of a health facility, including, but not limited to, mechanical or electrical systems, elevators, generators, pumps, boilers, and refrigeration equipment.